8/22/14

Little Ads - Stripmuffle, Inc.

We have for you a couple of little ads from the back of a 1961 Popular Science. They both have some amusing drawing. Please be also amused as I.

If this ad ran as it is today (which it wouldn't), even if it were run in a men's interest magazine like Popular Science, you'd never get away with something as hideous as recognizing the existence of strippers... or that they are capable of smiling. Whether or not your product is an innocent refinishing product, you'd be as awful as the horrible people who pay women to take their clothes off. You'd have to grovel in twitterspace for weeks until the 24-hour news cycle got distracted by something else if you had a drawing of a stripper in your tiny ad, pulling off her glove. So, please enjoy her as a nice clip art at the bottom of the post. Let any groveling be optional, I say.


The idea that women will flock to your car if you have a loud exhaust is a hoot. If anything, it will make young men flock to your car... or the police. I used to have a Volkswagen GTI, and I put a Magnaflow exhaust on it. As soon as I started it up for the first time, I said to myself "Oh great. Now I'm one of THOSE guys." But I had already paid for it, and I was stuck with it for a few years till I couldn't take it any more. The drone in the cabin was horrible at highway speed.

I got pulled over in my neighborhood by a policeman who obviously was wanting me to speed for him. But, I was obeying the speed limit, so he pulled me for the exhaust. I imagine he was pretty annoyed at my lawfulness, but in keeping with my policy of not mouthing off to the guy who wants to write you a ticket, I didn't mouth off to the guy who wanted to write me a ticket. He chatted for a few minutes and admitted that he had a Magnaflow on his Mustang. He decided to let me go with a warning, because I told him I hated the noise, and wanted my original exhaust back. Wouldn't his Mustang be even louder than my VR6? One more thing. Why is it that American motorcycles are free to be as loud and obnoxious as they like? The police don't seem to hassle them at all, and they are typically loud enough to wake the neighbors. Okay, Rant complete.
Click for 1600 px wide.

Click for 400 px wide.

Click for 1600 px tall.

Click for 400 px tall.




1 comments:

MrsBug said...

Why is it that American motorcycles are free to be as loud and obnoxious as they like? The police don't seem to hassle them at all, and they are typically loud enough to wake the neighbors.
OMG!!, yes! Dang, the people that ride those loud machines are going to be deafer than a doorknob by the time they hit 60, if not before. We live on a rural road that's on its way to a biker bar and we get tons of loud machines driving by.

Post a Comment